Monday, October 22, 2007

Wong Kar Wai, National Film Theatre, 2007


Wong Kar Wai (WKW) is one of my favourite directors. I think it has a lot to do with the central themes of most of his movies; isolation, unrequited love, yearning, obsession... you get the idea, I love me my depressing, bordering on arty-farty, movies!

WKW was interviewed live as part of the Stanley Kubrick Masterclass and I managed to get tickets to this sold out event. A part of me expected WKW to be a moody and sullen tortured "artist", given the nature of his movies! But I was pleasantly surprised to find him nothing like that at all. He was funny, witty and charming. He punctuated his stories with amusing anecdotes and he didn't take himself too seriously which was evident when he was asked all these pretentious & assinine questions by members of the audience, half of whom were film students doing dissertations on his movies and reading way too much existentialism-type meaning into them. Idiots.

I have a great video of part of the interview but can't seem to upload it at the moment. Watch this space!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home