Monday, October 22, 2007

Jessica Lange in The Glass Menagerie, 2007


Apart from Meryl Streep, Jessica Lange is one of my all-time favourite actresses. Everything she's been in is absolutely stunning and flawless. It was therefore a no-brainer that I made it a point to see her in Tennessee Williams' "The Glass Menagerie".

Jessica played Amanda, the matriarch of the Wingfield family, the faded, ageing Southern belle who emasculates her son and daughter with the impossible expectations of living up to her glorified past of gentleme callers. I think reviews of the play and Jessica's performance itself were mixed but I can only express my opinions based on what I saw and I thought that Jessica portrayed the overbearing, emotionally-draining mother perfectly. Hey, I'm not being biased, I can tear apart a hero if necessary (see Roddy Doyle below). Ms Lange is one of the greatest actresses of all time and I am honoured to have seen her live onstage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home